Saturday, January 31, 2009

Apparently I Like Pasta...

So lately I've been really into different kinds of pasta. It may due to the sub-zero temperatures, or it may just be that pasta is delicious. Either way, it's easy to make, very satisfying, and any side dish goes. So last night, I was really craving pesto (There's only so much tomato sauce one girl can take), but due to my new year's resolution, a pre-made pesto was out of the question (even though the local co-op has a really good one! http://www.syracuserealfood.coop/) So I set out to find a really great vegan pesto recipe. I didn't have to look too far. I got some amazing cookbooks for Christmas (and read them like they're fiction), so I decided to start there. Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero (two legendary vegan chefs!) is one of my fvorites to read and fantasize about, but most of the recipes included feel a little complicated and fancy. And as you know (or maybe you don't) New York college kitchens are tiny! Or at least mine is, and also devoid of helpful vegan cooking tools (like a food processor) which would make life so much easier (hint hint: mom and dad).
OK, on with the food talk! So even though I feel the recipes in Veganomicon are pretty invovled, I came across (what seemed to be at first glance) a relatively simple recipe. Unfortunately, I'm in a studio right now (pretending to work) away from home and can not post the recipe that I am about to tell you is pretty amazing, but I promise I will post it ASAP! Ok, so the recipe is basil and cilantro based, which is why I wanted to make it. I have both a small basil and small cilantro plant growing on my window sill, so I figure it would be perfect and fresh. The recipe calls for a food processor, but since you know I don't have one, I used a blender. I'd like to say it didn't make a difference, but it did actually make the sauce less refined. This recipe also calls for almonds instead of pine nuts, which at first I thought was strange, but it ended up being AWESOME. So I made this pesto (whose recipe I will post when I get home) and added it to spinach linguine with sauteed red onion sand artichoke hearts (as per another recipe in Veganomicon). BUT: this recipe said to just toss the artichoke hearts with the finished pasta at the end (to get coated in the pesto), but the artichoke hearts were still a little sour, so next time I would also saute them with the olive oil, onions and garlic. Now for pictures! This was the yummy result:


In other food news, I made a really yummy open-faced sandwich for lunch. I often make open-faced sandwiches because I think too much bread usually get in the way. For sandwich purposed, when I'm in a hurry, I take out all my raw veggies (that are suitable for sandwiches, so that probably excludes things like broccoli) and slice them as thinly as possible. Then I toast whatever bread I have (seriously anything, from sourdough to cinnamon raisin) slather it in hummus, and top with my sliced veggies. Fresh, satisfying, and so easy. Here it is:
Also (don't worry, I'm aware this post is getting really long so I'll wrap it up) my amazing roommate, K, made some of the best pumpkin bread I've ever had! So I harassed her for the recipe until she gave it to me! She is so amazing, that she even changed the recipe to be vegan, eliminating eggs and milk. Here is the result AND the recipe!

K's Pumpkin Bread

1 ½ cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ Tsp. baking powder
½ tsp salt
4 eggs (substitute 8 oz. applesauce, unsweetened, smooth)
1 cup sugar (substitute Splenda Sugar Mix)
¼ cup brown sugar
½ tsp. vanilla
¾ cups canned pumpkin
¾ cup oil

350 degree oven. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and
salt, set aside. Beat Eggs (or applesauce), sugars, and vanilla in large bowl on
high speed for about 30 seconds. Add Dry ingredients and mix
well. Add pumpkin and oil and mix well. Pour batter into
greased loaf pan. Bake approx 70 min. or until toothpick
inserted come out clean. Cool on wire rack.

This bread really is one of the best vegan desserts I've had, you won't be disappointed!

Enjoy, I'm off to Brew Fest to sample some beer in true college fashion!
xo

2 comments:

  1. you're like a hot young vegetarian julia child... yeah, i just made a julia child reference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete